How To Care For Your Vehicle Wrap
Care for your vehicle graphics like you would any fine paint finish. Using high quality products designed specifically for car care and these cleaning and maintenance procedures will help keep your 3M vehicle graphics looking their best.
• Wash whenever the car appears dirty. Contaminants allowed to remain on the graphic may be more difficult to remove during cleaning.
• Rinse off as much dirt and grit as possible with a spray of water.
• See Difficult Contaminants below, for spot cleaning bird droppings, tar, etc.
• Use a wet, non-abrasive detergent such as 3M™ Car Wash Soap 39000 or Meguiar's NXT Generation® Car Wash or Deep Crystal® Car Wash and a soft, clean cloth or sponge.
• Rinse thoroughly with clean water. To reduce water spotting, immediately use a silicone squeegee to remove water and finish with a clean microfiber cloth.
Brush-type car washes are not recommended as they can abrade the film and cause edges to lift or chip, as well as dulling the film's appearance. Brushless car washes are acceptable.
Although hand washing is the preferred cleaning method, pressure washing may be used under these conditions.
• Ensure the water pressure is kept below 2000 psi.
• Keep water temperature below 180° Farenheit (80 °C).
• Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide angle spray pattern.
• Keep the nozzle at least 1 foot (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the graphic.
CAUTION! Holding the nozzle of a pressure washer at an angle to graphic may lift the edges of the film.
Soften difficult contaminants such as bug splatter, bird droppings, tree sap and similar contaminants by soaking them for several minutes with very hot, soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and dry. If further clean-ing is needed, test one of these products in an inconspicuous area to ensure no damage to the graphics: Meguiar's Gold Class™ Bug and Tar Remover or 3M™ Citrus Base Cleaner. lsopropyl alcohol (IPA) (two parts IPA to 1 part water) or denatured alcohol may also help. Spot clean the contaminants. Do not use rough scrubbing or abrasive tools, which will scratch the film. Wash and rinse off all residue immediately.
Wipe off immediately to avoid degrading the vinyl and adhesive. Then wash, rinse and dry as described in the previous 'Wash Regularly' section, as soon as possible.
Most standard graphic films and overlaminates can be waxed with a high quality car wax. Before use, test and approve in an inconspicuous area. Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For the carbon fiber and brushed metal films in Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080, 3M recommends using Carnauba waxes. 3M does not recommend any wax product for the matte or textured films.
3M does not recommend waxes when using 3M™ Scotchcal™ Gloss Overlaminate 8528
Store Indoors or Under Cover Whenever Possible
Vinyl graphics are degraded by prolonged exposure to sun and atmospheric pollutants, particularly on the horizontal surfaces such as hood, trunk lid and roof. Whenever possible, store in a garage or at least in a shaded area during the day. At night protect the car from dew or rain, which may contain acidic pollutants (a common problem in many large metropolitan areas). When a garage is not available, consider using a cloth car cover at night. If your graphics start to discolor or turn brown (which is caused by acidic pollution), immediately remove the graphics from the vehicle to avoid staining the underlying paint.